Pressure washing the car – Top tips!
If you are thinking of pressure washing the car, please read these top tips before you do. We recently had to repair damage that was caused to the front bumper of a Porsche 911. The owner unfortunately removed the lacquer on the front bumper whilst giving the car a jet wash. He came to us after contacting Porsche and not being too impressed with their pricing!
Here’s what the customer said when we had finished repairing his car:
“The main dealer wanted a kings ransom to repair it so I went to Car Magic who fixed my car for a fraction of what Porsche wanted. Not only that but the service was excellent – very friendly and efficient. 5 star treatment all the way. Highly recommended.”
You can read the full review from Steve and more customer feedback on our Reviews page.
Pressure washing the car: Things to remember
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines or your own common sense when it comes to using the pressure washer.
- Keep the nozzle at a safe distance from the car to avoid damage.
- Stay clear of the heavy duty pressure washer settings that are capable of stripping paint!
- Don’t use the pressure washer under the bonnet or anywhere near the engine.
- When pressure washing the car, don’t park it on gravel in case stones bounce up and create chips in the paintwork.
- Always start at the roof of the car and work downwards.
- Remember to dilute any shampoo or products you are using as per the instructions.
- Wear suitable clothing and take your phone out of your pocket when jet washing.
- Pressure washers and jet washers are powerful and shouldn’t be pointed at your children/other half – as tempting as it might be!
- Oh, and don’t forget the hubcaps.
Read more tips like these from espares.co.uk if you’re thinking about pressure washing the car for the first time. Otherwise it could be your car pictured below in our workshop. Here’s the Porsche 911 minus the front bumper that had been damaged by the jet washer.
More top tips for pressure washing the car:
CarKeys.co.uk have this advice for using a pressure washer to clean the car:
- Don’t use most of the pointed nozzle attachments – they may be too strong and can damage the paintwork.
- Do have the car on a concrete surface when using a jet washer to avoid stones or gravel hitting the car.
- Don’t spray the washer directly around gaps in the panels as they could leak – especially in older cars.
- Don’t use a strong spray setting on areas where paint is chipped, or on old tyres.
- Do make sure that all the windows and the boot are tightly closed.
- Never use a pressure washer to spray the engine bay or any part of the interior.
- Don’t let children use a jet washer or pressure washer, even if they really want to have a go.
If you have managed to damage the car during a jet wash, please get in touch with us for a quote. We know that mistakes are easily made when it comes to cars – whether it’s when cleaning, parking or as a result of minor bumps. In no time at all, we had this Porsche 911 997 Carrera 4S looking as good as new and ready to leave our workshop in Chesham, Buckingshamshire.
About Car Magic
We aim to be fast, friendly and efficient no matter the size of the repair. Come and see us at Wood View Farm, Hog Lane, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, HP5 3NX or give us a call on 01442 864022. You can also fill out an easy estimates form online with some photos of the damage to help us give an accurate quote for the repairs.
If you have been involved in a car accident that wasn’t your fault then take a look at our no fault accident service. Please fill out the form on our website or call us on 0845 055 2074 to discuss your no fault accident claim. We’re open from Monday to Friday between the hours of 8am to 6pm.